LARRY WILSON BOWLING LANES – Constructed in 1967 as part of the Laughlin Health Building, this six-lane facility was named in 2008 in honor of Larry Wilson, former faculty member and longtime coach of the University's men's and women's bowling teams.
LAUGHLIN HEALTH BUILDING – Built in 1967, this two-story classroom, laboratory and office building was named in honor of Robert (Bobby) G. Laughlin, former basketball coach, athletic director and faculty member. It houses the Larry Wilson Bowling Lanes, home of the University’s nationally-prominent bowling teams.LEN MILLER ROOM – Named in honor of Len Miller, a former basketball coach who died while in service to the University, this dining/meeting room is located off the front lobby of the Academic-Athletic Center. A bronze bust of Coach Miller stands nearby, a tribute from his family and former players.LITTLE BELL TOWER – Built in 1997 as a gift from Lucille Caudill Little, this four-story bell tower features an electronic carillon controlled by a computer in the library. It was named in honor of Mrs. Little, a former faculty member and her husband, W. Paul Little, Lexington philanthropists.LLOYD CASSITY BUILDING – Built in 1962, this three-story classroom and office structure was named in honor of Lloyd Cassity of Ashland, former chair of the Board of Regents. It includes the Student Technology Center.LOVENA AND WILLIAM RICHARDSON GALLERY – Located on the main floor of the Kentucky Folk Art Center, this exhibition space was named in honor of the former owners of the building.LUCILLE LITTE THEATRE – Built in 2002 as a component of the renovated and expanded Breckinridge Hall, this “black box” theatre laboratory was named in honor of Lucille Caudill Little, a former faculty member and founder of the theatre program.MARGARET LEWIS LEARNING CENTER – This computer laboratory at MSU at Prestonsburg was named for Dr. Margaret Lewis, former director of the regional campus.
MAYS HALL APARTMENTS – Built in 1937 as a residence hall and renovated in 1992 and converted to 47 student apartments, this four-story structure was named in honor of Jesse T. Mays, former faculty member.McCLURE POOL – A component of the Academic-Athletic Center, this Olympic-sized swimming pool was named for Russell R. McClure, former MSU vice president and state finance secretary. The pool includes the Bill Mack Diving Well, named in honor of a former coach and faculty member.MEMORIAL PLAZA – Located in the vicinity of the Little Bell Tower, this area contains engraved bricks reflecting the names and service dates of deceased faculty and staff members. New bricks are added each year. Its name reflects its purpose.MIGNON HALL – Built in 1960 and upgraded in 2000 to improve fire safety, this six-story female residence hall was named in honor of Mignon M. Doran, wife of the seventh president of the University and a former faculty member.MIGNON TOWER – Built in 1967 and upgraded in 2000 to improve fire safety, this 14-story coed residence hall was named in honor of Mignon T. Doran, wife of the seventh president of the University and a former faculty member.MINNIE AND GARLAND ADKINS GALLERY – Located on the second floor of the Kentucky Folk Art Center, this exhibition space was named in honor of folk artists Minnie and Garland Adkins of Elliott County.MOREHEAD STATE PUBLIC RADIO – Started in 1965 as WMKY, the first public radio station in East Kentucky, the operation has evolved into a network of three FM transmitters in Morehead, Inez and Beattyville. MSPR is headquartered at Breckinridge Hall and is a charter member of National Public Radio. Facilities include the Larry Netherton Production Room, named for a former general manager.MORROW DRIVE – Extending in an easterly direction from Lee Cemetery Road to Playforth Place, this street was named in honor of Gov. Edwin P. Morrow, who signed legislation making the University a public institution in 1922.MSU AT ASHLAND – Now located on the campus of Ashland Community and Technical College near downtown Ashland, this regional campus was started in 1987.MSU AT JACKSON – Now located in the Breathitt Life Skills Center, the former Hotel Jefferson in downtown Jackson, the center is near the Lees College Campus of Hazard Community and Technical College. This regional campus opened in 1996.MSU AT PRESTONSBURG – Established in 1991, this regional campus moved in 2004 to new facilities on the Prestonsburg campus of Big Sandy Community and Technical College. Facilities include the Margaret Lewis Learning Center.MSU AT MOUNT STERLING – The University’s newest regional campus opened in 2003 in the Clay Community Center on the campus of Montgomery County High School/Middle School. It was expanded in 2006.MSU AT WEST LIBERTY – Located in a two-story structure at Index near West Liberty since 2002, this regional campus was started in 1987. It also houses an adult education center. MYRON DOAN CHEER PRACTICE ROOM – Formerly identified as the gymnastic room in the Academic-Athletic Center, this facility was named in 2007 in honor of Myron Doan, former dean of students and longtime coach of the University's nationally-prominent cheerleading squads.
NORMAL HALL – Built in 1967, this four-story, 40-unit student apartment building was upgraded in 2003 to improve fire safety and then fully renovated in 2004. It was named in honor of Morehead Normal School, which opened in 1887 as the University’s predecessor institution.NUNN HALL – Built in 1969 and upgraded in 2003 to improve fire safety, this nine-story female residence hall was named in honor of Beula Nunn, wife of Gov. Louie B. Nunn. It currently is undergoing renovation and will reopen in early 2009.OSBORNE RESEARCH LABORATORY – Located in Ginger Hall, this facility was named in 2004 in honor of Dr. Frank H. Osborne, former faculty member. PAGE DRIVE – Originally known as Tower Drive, this street extends from Battson-Oates Drive to Satellite Drive. It was named in honor of Anna Page who enrolled in October 1887 as the University’s first student.PALMER DEVELOPMENT HOUSE – Acquired in 1965, this three-story former residence is used for administrative offices, including the MSU Foundation, Inc. It was named for John M. Palmer, Morehead industrialist and the previous owner.PHILLIPS HOUSE – Acquired in 1996, this four-story former residence is used for administrative offices. It bears the name of Toney C. Phillips, former faculty member and previous owner.PLAYFORTH PLACE – Extending in a northerly direction from U.S. 60 at the Academic-Athletic Center to Downing Hall, this street was named for Dr. Roscoe H. Playforth, former college dean and faculty member.PRESIDENT’S HOME – Built in 1928, the four-story structure is the official residence of the president of the University. Twelve of the University’s 13 presidents have resided there. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.RADER HALL – Built in 1925 and renovated and expanded in 1970, this three-story classroom and office building was named in honor of Dr. Clifford Rader, former faculty member and administrator. It houses the Exelbirt Seminar Room.REED HALL – Built in 1974, this four-story classroom, laboratory and office building was named in honor of B. F. Reed, former member of the Board of Regents.
REGENTS HALL – Built in 1963 and upgraded in 2002 to improve fire safety, this four-story facility was named in honor of all citizens, students and faculty and staff members who have served as members of the Board of Regents. The facility was razed in 2009.RICE SERVICE BUILDING – Built in 1965, this one-story office, garage, maintenance, and warehouse facility was named in honor of W. H. Rice, former physical plant superintendent.RICHARDSON LIVESTOCK ARENA – Built in 1970 and expanded in 2002, the enclosed facility bears the name of former Rowan Circuit Judge James M. Richardson, a former member of the Board of Regents.
RIGGLE ROOM – Created in 1969 with the expansion of the Adron Doran University Center, this meeting room was named in honor of Anna Mae Riggle, former dean of students.ROGER W. BARBOUR ROOM – Located in the Special Collections section of Camden-Carroll Library, this room contains photographs, slides, lectures, manuscripts, correspondence and memorabilia related to Dr. Barbour’s 40-year career as a naturalist, author and professor of zoology at the University of Kentucky. He was a native of Morehead and an alumnus of MSU.RONALD G. EAGLIN SPACE SCIENCE CENTER – This academic unit of the College of Science and Technology includes a $3 million Space Tracking System and the fourth bachelor’s degree program in space science in the U.S. A $15.6 million Support Facility containing classrooms, laboratories, and offices opened in 2009. The unit was named in honor of Dr. Ronald G. Eaglin, 12th president of the University, who served from 1992 to 2005.SADLER COURTS – Built in 1970 in the Breathitt Sports Center complex, these 14 outdoor tennis courts were named in honor of George Sadler, former tennis coach.SATELLITE DRIVE – Originally known as Woodlawn Terrace, this street extends from Earle Clements Lane to Nunn Hall and to the Space Tracking System on the ridge above Nunn Hall. Its name honors MSU’s involvement in satellite telemetry.SENFF NATATORIUM – Built in 1932 as one of Kentucky’s first indoor swimming pools, this historic structure was named in honor of Judge Earl W. Senff of Mt. Sterling, former member and secretary of the Board of Regents. It was out of service from 1988 until its demolition in 2008. The distinctive frieze (low relief sculpture) on the south façade was preserved for display in the new student recreation and wellness center, scheduled to open in 2010.SIMMS WEIGHT TRAINING CENTER – Located inside Jayne Stadium, this one-story facility was a gift from alumnus Phil Simms of Louisville, a former professional football player and network television sportscaster.STEPHEN TIRONE SCULPTURE CONCOURSE – Located near the front entrance of Ginger Hall and the west entrance of Rader Hall, this area displays five life-sized sculptures created by faculty member Stephen Tirone to depict the University’s historic mission of training teachers and artists. The first sculpture was dedicated in 2002, the second in 2003, the third in 2004, the fourth in 2005 and the fifth in 2006. At the unveiling of the fifth sculpture, the concourse was named in honor of its creator.STRIDER GALLERY – Located on the second floor of the Claypool-Young Art Building, this exhibition space was named in honor of Maurice Strider, former faculty member.SUNNY BROOK GOLF COURSE – Acquired in 1965, this nine-hole public golf course is located on U.S. 60, four miles east of Morehead. It was closed in 2007 with the acquisition of Eagle Trace Golf Course. Future use of the property has not been determined.TERRY AND SUSAN JACOBS FIELD – The artificial playing surface at Jayne Stadium is the second such installation to be given to the University by Terry and Susan Jacobs. It is used primarily by the football and soccer teams.
TREE FOSSIL – Now displayed under its own shelter in front of Lappin Hall, this fossilized remnant of a swamp tree is estimated to be more than 300 million years old. It was discovered in Elliott County in 1962 by faculty members Allen Lake and James Chaplin.UNIVERSITY BOULEVARD – Extending in a westerly direction from Main Street near the Laughlin Health Building, this street now circles the Howell-McDowell Administration Building and Claypool-Young Art Building and intersects with Elizabeth Avenue. It received its current name when the institution gained university status in 1966.VAUGHAN DRIVE – Extending in an easterly direction from University Boulevard near Cartmell Hall to Lee Cemetery Road, this street was named for Dr. William H. Vaughan, fourth president of the University, who served from 1940 to 1946.WATER ANALYSIS LABORATORY – Built in 1980 with gift funds from Ashland, Inc., this single-story structure first was used for coal testing before being converted to the official state-licensed public water analysis laboratory for the eastern half of Kentucky. Its name reflects its purpose.WATERFIELD HALL – Built in 1960 and upgraded in 2003 to improve fire safety, this four-story structure serves as an administrative office building and a temporary residence hall. Named in honor of Lt. Gov. Harry Lee Waterfield, the building currently is out of service.WELLNESS CENTER – Built in 1996 and expanded in 1998 and 2008, this one-story structure houses exercise science laboratories, indoor tennis courts and offices. Its name reflects its purpose.WEST MIGNON HALL – Built in 1963 and upgraded in 2001 to improve fire safety, this four-story coed residence hall was named in honor of Mignon M. Doran, wife of the seventh president of the University and a former faculty member.WEST SCIENCE MUSEUM – Located at Lappin Hall, this natural science museum was named in honor of Dr. Fenton T. West, former faculty member and department chair.WETHERBY GYMNASIUM – Built in 1956, this 4,000-seat facility is home to the University’s volleyball team. It was named in honor of Gov. Lawrence W. Wetherby.WHITE CONFERENCE ROOM – Located on the top floor of the Combs Classroom Building, this conference room was named in honor of the Harold White family of Rowan County.WILSON HALL – Built in 1962 and upgraded in 2002 to improve fire safety, this four-story men’s residence hall was named in honor of Roger L. Wilson, former vice president. The facility was razed in 2009.WMKY HOUSE – Built in 1968 to support Army ROTC, the three-story structure was the headquarters of WMKY Radio from 1985 to 2002 when the station relocated to Breckinridge Hall to become part of the Morehead State Public Radio network. The former residence has been out of service since 2003.WOMEN’S SOFTBALL FIELD – Located at the northern edge of the campus in the Breathitt Sports Center complex, the field was built in 1989 and upgraded in 2001.YANCY TELEVISION SEMINAR ROOM – Located in Breckinridge Hall, this facility was named in 2004 in honor of Thom Yancy, former faculty member.(Revised July 18, 2010)
HI: 80° LO: 57°
© Copyright 2014 Morehead State University -
150 University Blvd. Morehead, KY 40351 • 1.800.585.6781
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity, educational institution.