MSU offers special education degrees in elementary and middle grades. Programs combine a strong mix of class work and field experience to help you become the kind of professional educator needed to meet the challenges of 21st Century classrooms.
You will be prepared to work with a range of disabilities in either a mild (LBD: learning disabilities, attention deficit disorder, behavioral disorders, etc.) or severe range (MSD: severe intellectual disability, autism, multiple disability, etc.) in public school programs at any grade level. Additionally, programs will allow you to meet the requirements for P-5 teaching or achieve middle school teaching certification.
- Early elementary education learning and behavior disorders
- Early elementary education moderate to severe disabilities
- Middle grades education learning and behavior disorders
- Middle grades education moderate to severe disabilities
Students must meet MSU's admission requirements.
All teacher education candidates must apply for admission to the Teacher Education Program (TEP). View the TEP handbook here. The following outlines the TEP Admission Requirements.
For complete lists of our programs requirements and additional course information, visit the undergraduate catalog website.
Early Elementary P-5 LBD or MSD
- GPA of 2.75
- Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) Testing Series
- Completion of required field experience hours
- Writing sample
- Teacher Performance Assessment
- PRAXIS Exam
Middle Grades 5 -9 LBD or MSD
- GPA of 2.75.
- Successfully complete the TEP interview process.
- Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written communication.
- Successful completion of prerequisite courses, with a grade of "C" or better (ENG 100, ENG 200, COMS 108, EDF 207, EDF 211).
- Students applying for TEP at MSU must take the Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) Testing Series.
Graduates will work with students who have learning and behavioral disorders and moderate and severe disabilities in either the elementary or middle school setting.
MSU's Career Services offers career planning, interview and resume preparation assistance, internship placement, and services to help you find a job after you graduate.