Build-A-Bed targets children in Kentucky that are living in homes with not enough beds, or none at all. This project is designed to promote healthy bedtime rituals, improve the quality of sleep, and create happier days, brighter dreams and more opportunities for a lifetime of success. The mission is to ensure that P-12 Eastern Kentucky children are guaranteed a proper place to sleep in their home. Each recipient is given a twin sized bed and mattress, a set of sheets, a blanket or quilt, a hygiene kit, books, night-light or alarm clock, and stuffed animal. View the Build-A-Bed fact sheet.
For more information about builds happening across the Commonwealth, follow us on facebook.
Apply for a bed
Counties eligible for MSU's Build-A-Bed program include the following: Bath, Bourbon, Bracken, Breathitt, Carter, Clark, Elliott, Fleming, Floyd, Greenup, Harrison, Johnson, Knott, Lawrence, Lee, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Martin, Mason, Menifee, Montgomery, Morgan, Nicholas, Pike, Powell, Robertson, Rowan, and Wolfe.
To apply for a bed, applications must be completed and submitted by March 10th.
Return your applications to:
211 Education Services Building
Morehead, KY 40351
Vicky may be reached by phone at 606-783-2579 or email at email@example.com. We receive a large number of applications each year, so please be aware not all applicants may receive beds.
Sponsor a Child
You can sponsor a child for $150.00. By giving the gift of a good night's sleep, your donation to a child is immeasurable. We are seeking monetary or in-kind donations which we will use to complete our yearly goal of 185 beds.
The Kentucky Build-A-Bed project began in 2009 when two Kentucky AmeriCorps Programs, Success Corps and FRYSC Corps, built 57 beds for children in their service region. Since 2009, the project has gained much momentum. In 2010, the founding groups spearheaded a massive statewide build where 557 beds were built and distributed to P-12 students across Kentucky. In 2011, various Kentucky AmeriCorps programs began hosting regional builds across the state. MSUCorps and the Morehead Build-A-Bed partners are beginning their sixth year of their regional Build-A-Bed project.
- The 2016 MSU Build-A-Bed project provided 180 beds and bed-time bags to K-12 children.
- The 2015 MSU Build-A-Bed project provided 183 beds and bed-time bags to K-12 children.
- The 2014 MSU Build-A-Bed project provided 150 beds and bed-time bags to K-12 children.
- The 2013 MSU Build A Bed project provided 98 beds and bed-time bags to K-12 children.
- The 2012 MSU Build a Bed project provided 57 beds and bed-time bags to K-12 children.
- The 2011 MSU Build a Bed project provided 74 beds and bed-time bags to K-12 children.
MSU Build-A-Bed Partners
- Center for Adult Education and College Access
- Center for Regional Engagement (CRE)
- Educational Talent Search
- Frenchburg Job Corps CCC
- Gateway House Homeless Shelter
- Retired and Senior Volunteer Programs (RSVP).