Print Logo
  • Much more than a game
  • Much more than a family
  • Much more service - MSU Alumni & Athletic Halls of Fame
  • STMT - General

STATEMENT
Office of Alumni & Constituent Relations
150 University Blvd.
Morehead, KY 40351
Phone: 800-783-2586
E-mail: statement@moreheadstate.edu 

Click to go to Statement Survey 

MSU Home :: Button at heart of historic buildings

Button at heart of historic buildings

  • aeriel

    Aerielview of campus

  • allieyoung
    ALLIE YOUNG HALL (1926) – Renovated in 1976, this four-story structure served as a residence hall before it was renovated to become a student services building. It was named in honor of former Sen. Allie Young of Morehead, also a former judge, who is recognized as one of the founders of the University as a public institution.
  • button
    BUTTON AUDITORIUM (1928) – Renovated in 1968, this three-story facility contains classrooms, offices and a 1,200-seat auditorium. Named in honor of Frank C. Button, it was the site of the University’s first gymnasium which was transformed into classroom and laboratory facilities for Army ROTC, and also includes an indoor range which is used by the Eagle rifle team.
  • fields
    FIELDS HALL (1927) – Renovated in 1990, this four-story, coed residence hall is home to those in need of year-round housing. It was named in honor of Dora J. Fields of Olive Hill, the first woman member of the Board of Regents and wife of former Gov. William J. Fields.
  • grote-thompson
    GROTE-THOMPSON HALL (1927) – Renovated in 1991, this four-story, coed residence hall was named originally in honor of J. H. Thompson, former speaker of the Kentucky House of Representatives. The name of Dr. C. Nelson Grote, 11th president of MSU, was added to the structure in 2008.
  • rader
    RADER HALL (1926) – Renovated and expanded in 1970, this three-story classroom and office building was named in honor of Dr. Clifford Rader, former faculty member and administrator. It houses the Wilhelm Exelbirt Seminar Room. In its beginning, it was the original administration building. The facade was changed in the renovation.
Nine buildings, constructed in a crescent at the center of campus, comprise MSU’s 12-acre Historic District, designated in March 1995. The crescent moon design symbolizes “enlightenment through education.”

Constructed of brick with limestone appointments, all the buildings are representative of a late 19th and 20th century style known as Collegiate Gothic.
The original campus design included Rader Hall, the original administration building, in the center.

During the administration of MSU’s first president Frank C. Button, five buildings were constructed on the hillside overlooking the campus.

© Copyright 2014 Morehead State University - 150 University Blvd. Morehead, KY 40351 • 1.800.585.6781
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity, educational institution.