Skip Menu

MSU Milestones

Morehead State was founded in 1887 and granted public status in 1922. These are some of the significant moments in MSU history.

2022

  • MSU celebrates 100 years as a public institution.
  • MSU CubeSat Lunar IceCube to launch aboard NASA's Artemis I.

2018

  • The Golding-Yang Art Gallery was named and dedicated in the Claypool-Young Art Building.

*ADD ADUC/ROCK opening*


2017

  • Dr. Jay Morgan became MSU's 14th president.

2016

  • Wayne D. and Susan H. Andrews Hall opened. Named for MSU President Wayne Andrews and First Lady Sue Andrews, the hall houses 550 residents and features suite-style rooms, student and study meeting areas and Wi-Fi connectivity throughout. The hall was built on the site of the former Regents and Wilson Halls.
  • New residence halls, Lundergan and Padula Halls, are opened at the Derrickson Agricultural Complex.
  • President Bill Clinton visits MSU Space Science Center, becoming the first sitting or former U.S. President to come to campus.
  • Upward Bound celebrates 50 years at Morehead State.


 2015 

The first class of the Craft Academy for Excellence in Science & Mathematics at Morehead State University is accepted and enrolled. 



 2012

MSU welcomes the largest freshmen class in history - more than 1,650.
MSU alumnus Steve Kazee wins the Tony Award for “Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Musical” for his role in “Once.”  
Space science faculty, staff and students delivered a Cosmic X-Ray Background Nanosatellite for launch with NASA.
MSU opens the Veterans Resource Center in Breckinridge Hall.
MSU students, faculty, staff and alumni participated in MSU Cares – disaster relief in Eastern Kentucky counties damaged by tornadoes and strong storms.
The MSU Board of Regents named the Space Science Center building Smith-Booth Hall in honor of alumni Jim Booth and Elmer Smith.


2011


MSU kicks off a yearlong celebration of its 125th anniversary as a public institution: Celebrating hope, promise and opportunity. 
MSU reports highest fall enrollment in its history: 10,971. 
Recreation & Wellness Center opened; the project was conceived, planned and financed by students. 
MSU students have an experiment launched on the space shuttle.
Kenneth Faried was the 17th Eagle to be drafted into the NBA. He plays for the Denver Nuggets.
Chynna Bozeman set the all-time leading scorer record with a career 2,170 points.
MSU adds the Browning Orchard as an education and field station for the agricultural sciences program.
Rowan County Senior High School student Hannah Mabry became the first student in the Commonwealth of Kentucky to be credited with discovering a pulsar, through an astronomy program at MSU’s Space Science Center.


2010


The Center for Health, Education and Research (CHER) opened as a result of a partnership between Morehead State University, the University of Kentucky and St. Claire Regional Medical Center. 


2009
The state-of-the-art Space Science Center opened, giving MSU the distinction of being one of a handful of institutions in the nation to offer a degree in space science. 


2006
MSU developed and brought online a full motion 21-meter space tracking antenna.
 

2005
Dr. Wayne D. Andrews named 13th president.
 

2003
 MSU reports highest fall enrollment in its history: 9,509.

2000
First faculty chair endowed, honoring Dr. C. Louise Caudill.​

1999
Morehead State was the first institution in Kentucky to offer a complete degree program online, the Master of Business Administration (MBA).
“A Light to the Mountains” was published as a history of MSU.

1997
MSU celebrated its 75th anniversary as public institution.


1995
The original campus was designated as National Historic District.

1992
Dr. Ronald G. Eaglin became MSU's 12th president.

1991
MSU at Prestonsburg was established.

1987
Dr. C. Nelson Grote became MSU's 11th president. 
MSU at Ashland was established.

1986
Dr. A.D. Albright became MSU's 10th president.

1984
Dr. Herb. F. Reinhard became MSU's ninth president.


1979
The MSU Foundation was incorporated.


 1978
MSU at Mt. Sterling was established.


 1977
Dr. Morris L. Norfleet became MSU's eighth president.


 1972

MSU celebrated its 50th anniversary as a public institution.
 

1966The school's name was changed to Morehead State University.
 

1965
WMKY became the first public radio station in Eastern Kentucky.
 

1958
MSU’s Marshall Banks became the first African-American student-athlete in the OVC.

1954
Dr. Adron Doran was named MSU's seventh president.

 1953
MSU became a member of the NCAA.
 

1951
Dr. Charles Spain was appointed MSU's sixth president.

1948
The school's name was changed to Morehead State College.
MSU helped organize the Ohio Valley Conference.

1946
Dr. William J. Baird became MSU's fifth president.
 

1942
The U.S. Naval Electrical School based on campus through 1944.
 

1940 
Dr. William H. Vaughan was named MSU's fourth president.
 

1935
Dr. Harvey Babb became MSU's third president.
 

1930
The school's name was changed to Morehead State Teachers College.
 

1929
Dr. John Howard Payne was named MSU's second president.
 

1928
The Alumni Association was founded.
 

1927
The school's first class graduated (four persons).
 

1926
The school's name was changed to Morehead State Normal School and Teachers College.
 

1923
Morehead State Normal School began classes with Dr. Frank C. Button as president.
 

1922
Morehead Normal School closed. 
Gov. Edwin Morrow signed a legislative act creating state normal schools in Eastern and Western Kentucky; Morehead was selected as the eastern site.
 

1887 
Morehead Normal School opened as a private, church-supported institution.​

PRESIDENTS OF MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY
Dr. Joseph A. (Jay) Morgan, 2017-
Dr. Wayne D. Andrews, 2005-2017Dr. Ronald G. Eaglin, 1992-2004
Dr. C. Nelson Grote, 1987-92
Dr. A.D. Albright, 1986-87
Dr. Herb. F. Reinhard Jr., 1984-86
Dr. Morris L. Norfleet, 1977-84
Dr. Adron Doran, 1954-77
Dr. Charles R. Spain, 1951-54
Dr. William J. Baird, 1946-51
Dr. William H. Vaughan, 1940-46
Dr. Harvey A. Babb, 1935-40
Dr. John Howard Payne, 1929-35
Dr. Frank C. Button, 1923-29